Thursday, April 17, 2014

Self-possession vs. 'self-ownership'

If 'I own myself', this entails I am both a slave and a master/ruler.  If I reject both rulership and slavery, it is not then possible that I own myself and accept that I am free of domination.  It is not necessary for myself to assert my  'self-ownership' to defend myself or pursue my own interests; the fact of my bodily possession and my interests as an organism is more than sufficient for self-defense, as any animal will readily react with fight or flight if necessary.  Any theoretical additions to establish a justification of self-defense and pursuit of self-interest would appear to be redundant/superfluous to what is already sufficient for any organism.

 ~ Darjeelingzen 

2 comments:

  1. Ownership = control. "I own myself" = "I control myself."
    OTOH, my self-control is not transferable to someone else, whereas my ownership of any other thing is.

    ReplyDelete

  2. I detect that "ownership" is not materially equivalent to "control".

    If "ownership" was materially equivalent with "control", then when 'A' no longer controlled 'x', this would imply that 'A' does not own 'x', and if 'B' takes 'x' away from 'A' without the consent of of 'A', then this would imply that 'B' now owns 'x'.

    If 'A' owns 'x', and if 'B' takes 'x' away from 'A' without the consent of of 'A', in most linguistic-conventions of "own", the supposed quality of "ownership" persists even under circumstance where the fact of control is removed.

    One of the possible benefits of clarity for the use of "possession" is that it would not have the same sticky-persistence regardless of changing circumstances.

    If "possession" was materially equivalent with "control", then when 'A' no longer controlled 'x', this would imply that 'A' does not possess 'x', and if 'B' takes 'x' away from 'A' without the consent of of 'A', then this would imply that 'B' now possesses 'x'.

    It appears that "possession" that is materially equivalent with "control", while "ownership" seems to only require that there was some point in time, in which a person come into some kind of ethical/ought relationship with 'x', after which time 'control' is not a determining factor of ownership.

    ReplyDelete