Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Oliver Wendell Holmes: Taxes

Oliver Wendell Holmes once said; "Taxes are the price we pay for a civilized society."

Since you are possessed with the radical notion, that you own yourself, and that you are a human-being whose inalienable rights must be respected by other rational/social persons, allow me to translate the now unfamiliar language of Statism, into the language of ethics:

" 'Taxes' is the word I use to refer to the property that you own, that I demand that you must surrender, under duress of the threat of force/violence (extortion), so that my salary may be paid; and in order to protect my salary, and the power of the institution of domination that I represent, if you decide not to pay the extortion that I demand, I will order the bailiff to put you in a cage."

There, do you feel better now? How does it feel to live in a 'civilized society'?

"The triumph of persuasion over force is the sign of a civilized society." ~ Mark Skousen

No comments:

Post a Comment